First of all, I feel terrible about my delay in posting this. No excuse, other than being busy, and we all are!!
I was really humbled to be nominated by 3 people:
Michelle Cordy (@cordym)
Jeffrey Humphries (@itechteach)
Amy Bowker (@classcollect).
Michelle and I met online through Canadian Ed Chat (#cdnedchat). Together, we worked our way through our Google Apps for Education certification! She is a resourceful, intelligent, and caring 1:1 iPad Grade 3/4 teacher who blogs at: http://hacktheclassroom.ca/.
Jeffrey is one of the awesome people in my PLN, who also happens to be from Ottawa... where I am!! He regularly participates in #cdnedchat, which I moderate, and I have learned so much from his contributions... especially because he is way more tech savvy than I am! :) Check him out here: http://www.technology4all.ca/blog.html
Amy and I met at #EdCampOttawa... she was one of the organizers. My favourite part was how we saw each other and both recognized each other from Twitter.... "Hey, you're @MsValois! Yes! You're @classcollect." Had some great conversations with her that day about DI and love what she is doing with education in her class. Her blog is just awesome: http://classroomcollective.tumblr.com/ Tons of resources and ideas!
Here is how it works:
11 Facts about Me:
1. I have a cat and a dog (German Shepherd): Fynn and Jack. I was terrified of big dogs until we got ours!
2. My favourite city to visit (of all time) is Washington, DC. I am obsessed. I went twice in 4 months!
3. I didn't get my first SmartPhone until last May!
4. This past summer, I read 1 book every 3 or so days! (Yes, I don't have children... haha!)
5. I run on coffee as fuel! My daily order from Tim Hortons is an extra large with 2 cream, half sugar and a creamy caramel flavour shot!
6. I don't like shopping; crowds bother me.
7. This year for Thanksgiving, I cooked my first ever turkey!
8. I rarely watch TV; I only really follow 3 shows: Homeland, Criminal Minds and Law and Order SVU
9. Except for two school field trips (last year and year before), I can't even remember the last time I went to a movie theatre! I am pretty sure the last movie I saw was the 3D Christmas Carol with Jim Carrey in 2009 with my Mom!
10. I am proud of my husband; he is in the Canadian Armed Forces and has twice deployed in service to the CAF.
11. If I had to choose between sweet or savoury, I'd always choose sweet.
11 Questions for me:
1. What Disney Character would you be?
Mary Poppins! Not a traditional Disney character but it is a Disney film! :) If I have to choose animated, Belle. I think she's the least "damsel in distress" of the Disney princess group; at least she shows some bravery and conviction.
2. What is the coolest app you have read about or use?
Right now, it's just Chrome Extensions in general.
3. Have you ever skyped in your classroom?
No, I prefer Google Hangout. :)
4. What twitter chats do you follow?
Too many to list but I'd be remiss if I didn't shout out to the chat I help moderate: Canadian Ed Chat. #cdnedchat - every Monday at 8pm EST.
5: What is the best thing about teaching?
6. What is your favourite stationary item?
Do Post It Notes count? Love those!
7. Cake or Ice Cream?
Cake, but only with butter cream icing... or else I scrape off the icing.
8. House Pet: Snake or Ferret?
I'd rather stick a pencil in my eye than have either. I guess snake.
9. Favourite Movie?
I can't choose one! Fried Green Tomatoes (I watched it more than 25 times when I was a kid... around 9/10 years old) and the Life of David Gale.
10: Best gift you ever got?
Hmmm. Probably the scrapbook my Mom made me for my 16th- symbolic. My parents also bought me a car (99 Sunfire!) when I graduated University with honours. That was pretty awesome!!!
11. Why did you want to become a teacher?
See answer 5. ;)
My "sunshine nominees"
Because I love DI, so much, I am differentiating this assignment for my blogging needs! ;) I am listing 11 people to follow on Twitter. If they have a blog, you can check out their blog too and they can answer the questions, if they choose. But there are some great people on Twitter who may not have blogs.... or active blogs.. and maybe this will be a reason for them to start blogging or continue! :)
I know that both Jennie and Jason have already been mentioned but I really had to include them both on my list.
1. Dana Ariss (@danaariss). Blog: www.daariss.wordpress.com
2. Theresa Wells-Taylor (@thecandydish)
3. James Petersen (@jpetersen02): Blog: www.mrjpetersen.weebly.com
4. Paul McGuire (@mcguirp) Blog: http://paulmcguire1.wordpress.com/
5. Nicholas Ferroni (@nicholasferroni): He writes for the Huffington Post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nicholas-ferroni/
6. Jason Markey (@JasonMMarkey): Blog: http://jmarkeyap.blogspot.ca/
7. Stephane Crete (@stephanecrete)
8. Rola Tibshirani (@rolat): Blog: http://learninginprogess.blogspot.ca/ and http://ensemble-together.blogspot.ca/
9. Shannon Smith (@shannoninottawa): Blog: http://shannoninottawa.com/
10. Moss Pike (@mosspike): Blog: http://cinisetfavilla.blogspot.ca/
11. Jennie Magiera (@msmagiera) http://www.teachinglikeits2999.com/
Questions for my nominees: (Some of these "borrowed" from other posts!)
Who am I?
Hi! I'm Megan. 21st century learner and teacher. I am passionate about DI, assessment, student success and #edtech. My blog is where I share what is happening in my classes, my professional learning and sometimes things that are on the outer circle of education. Comments always welcome!